Effective immediately, a hiring freeze is in place at Kansas State University and the Union due to COVID-19 precautions.
"I can't imagine a better boss and employer. I feel valued here."
"The K-State Student Union is home for me…Thank you for supporting employees wanting to advance themselves in every way possible."
Full-Time Opportunities and Benefits
Benefits for full-time staff at the Union include (additional details listed in summary of benefits):
- 100% employer-paid single coverage health, dental, vision and life insurance (totaling more than $7,500 per year)
- 8 hours of vacation leave earned per pay period, to a max of 176 hours per year
- 3.7 hours of sick leave earned per pay period.
- 9+ days of paid holiday leave per calendar year, as designated by Kansas State University
- TIAA 403(b) Retirement Plan
- Employee Assistance Program: online tools and resources for any stage of a life challenge, legal needs, stress management, health assessments, etc.
- Educational scholarship for dependent(s)
- Educational scholarship for employee
- Free annual flu shot
- Access to additional insurance options, including life insurance, AFLAC, flexible spending account, dependent care insurance, long term care insurance and 529 educational savings plan
Discounted green fees and cart at Colbert Hills Golf Course, discounted membership (including pool) for K-State Recreational Services
Restaurant General Manager
Annual salary: $32,344-$44,844 annually, negotiable based on experience. Will earn overtime pay for hours worked over 40/week.
This is a full-time, hourly position (scroll down for schedule information).
Benefits-eligible, including 100% employer paid health, dental, vision and life insurance (totaling more than $7,500 per year) as well as an employer matched retirement plan.
Within one month of hire, the candidate must be able to travel for Chick-fil-A licensee training and complete ServSafe certification.
Manages the day-to-day operations of the Union’s two quick-serve restaurants in an efficient, profitable and sanitary way.
- Manage financial objectives by preparing regular forecasts, limiting labor costs, growing sales, and controlling inventory and cost of goods within budget margins. Oversee cash management function to include POS systems. Perform front and back of house functions including opening and closing procedures. Ensure all food service standards and audits are met. Establish and monitor neat, clean and safe work environments in accordance with established health and safety standards. Identify and resolve potential safety hazards.
- Hire, train, supervise/direct and evaluate the work of retail services employees. Develop and maintain employee work schedules. Monitor and approve electronic timekeeping for department. Provide ongoing employee training and development of operating standards, customer service and product knowledge.
- Ensure employees provide customers with efficient, friendly, superior service. Monitor and maintain guest satisfaction throughout units and resolve customer complaints. Ensure all Chick-fil-A franchise and Union policies and procedures are followed and maintain the highest quality and consistent product standards. Assist with coordination of catering services for events such as banquets or receptions. Attend trainings, events, and departmental meetings as required. Participate in retail services or Union-related workgroups and committees as directed.
Required education, experience, and skills: Three years of food service experience. Two years of food service management experience. Two years of Microsoft Windows applications. General accounting knowledge and experience to include understanding Profit & Loss statements and Cost of Goods. Demonstrated knowledge and experience with federal and state food handling and storage laws and regulations. High degree of organizational and delegation skills. Perform basic math skills. Communicate verbally and in written form. Ability to travel for and pass Chick-fil-A licensee manager training within one month of hire. Ability to become ServSafe certified within one month of hire.
Physical Requirements: Remain standing for 85% of shift. Finger dexterity/movement for manipulating and picking up small objects. Repetitive motion of wrists, hands and fingers. Mobility to maneuver in quick-serve food service setting. Hearing for average or normal conversations and to receive information. Sight to view POS system, documents, money, and general retail food service machinery. Verbal communication to convey and exchange information and ideas accurately and quickly. Lift items weighing up to 30 pounds. There are no hazardous or significantly unpleasant physical conditions.
Hours: There are two shifts, one each for the Restaurant General Manager and the Restaurant Assistant Manager. There is flexibility as to whom works which shift. Shifts are generally Monday through Friday, 7:30 a.m. to 4 p.m. (with 30 minute lunch) or 11 a.m. to 8 p.m. (with 1 hour lunch). A few Saturdays throughout the year are required.
To Apply: Submit Union application, cover letter, and resume with 3 professional references. All application materials that are requested must be submitted to be considered. This position is open until filled.
We are an equal opportunity employer and actively seek diverse employees. See the non-discrimination policy at k-state.edu/nondiscrimination. The final candidate must pass a criminal history check as related to the position.