With an eye on the future, the Union continuously works to make sustainability a priority at K-State. This commitment to making the Union as eco-friendly as possible is reflected in our daily operations, as well as the opportunities we provide to students to make greener decisions on campus.
- Ink cartridges
- Light bulbs
- Copy paper
- Cooking oil
- Aluminum cans
- Plastic bottles
We encourage visitors to join our sustainability efforts by utilizing the recycling bins located throughout the building:
- On the ground floor by the Copy Center
- Throughout the first-floor dining area
- On the second floor across from the Cat's Pause Lounge
- On the third floor near the stairwell
- Additional university recycling bins are located outside on the south, north and east sides of the Union
Union recycling bins can accept plastics #1-7, aluminum, tin and paper products. Here are a few common examples of recyclable materials frequently found in the Union:
- Plastic soda bottles, including lids
- Paper soda cups and straws
- Glass beverage bottles, including lids
- Unused napkins
- Cup carriers (cardboard trays)
- Restaurant packaging, including:
- Chick-fil-A paper bags
- Radina’s cups, lids and cup sleeves
- Call Hall at the Union cups
- Fast Track containers
Fluorescent light bulbs and motion-sensor light switches are used where possible, and the Union also has a control system to efficiently control heating and cooling throughout the building. The restrooms have many automated features that encourage less waste production while conserving energy, including automated toilets, sinks and handwashing stations, and hand dryers.
The Union encourages its partners to use environmentally friendly products like biodegradable to-go boxes and plates, as well as recycled napkins. The Union also uses Enviro-Care carpet cleaner and bio-friendly hand soap, floor restorer and disinfectant.
Water Bottle Filling Stations
- On the south side of the Courtyard on the ground floor
- By the south restrooms on the ground and first floors
- By the restrooms near Chick-fil-A on the first floor
- Near the welcome desk on the first floor
- By the north restrooms on the second floor
Riding your bike on campus has never been easier. The Union offers all the tools necessary to perform basic bike repairs and maintenance at the bicycle repair station. Campus bikers are able to do anything from change flat tires to adjust breaks. Hanging the bike from the hanger arms allows the pedals and wheels to spin freely while making adjustments. The public repair device is located on Bosco Plaza outside the Union's north entrance; it accommodates most bike types and is ADA compliant.