ID Center Policies

ID Center Policies


The Wildcat Card is the official Kansas State University (K-State) identification card to be used while attending or employed by the university or its local agencies (K-State Student Union, K-State Athletics, Collegian Media Group, K-State Alumni Association, and Kansas State University Foundation). The Wildcat Card is valid for students while enrolled at K-State and for current, retired, and emeritus employees of the university and its local agencies. It must be carried at all times while on campus. It bears the holder’s name, Wildcat ID (WID) and account numbers, photo and signature. The WID number is a nine-digit number permanently assigned by the university to uniquely identify each member of K-State and its local agencies.

The Wildcat Card serves not only as general identification but identification for course exams, use of K-State Libraries and K-State Student Union services, and access to recreational facilities, dining services, residence halls, medical records, Lafene Health Center, and admission to selected K-State athletic events.

The Wildcat Card also functions as a purchasing card on university property.  Each card is assigned a Cat Cash Debit Account, among others, that can be used for purchasing goods and services all over campus.  Meal plans are also assigned to the Wildcat Card and processed at the dining halls. 

The Wildcat Card is for the individual cardholder’s use only. Services covered by this card are not transferable to other individuals. The Wildcat Card must be presented to any officer or employee of the university when asked for identification.

To obtain a Wildcat Card, proof of identity must be demonstrated by presenting a government issued photo ID such as a state issued driver’s license, state issued ID card, military ID card or passport. New card fees are listed on the K-State ID Center main page.

  • Cat Cash is a prepaid debit account that is utilized for purchases throughout the K-State Student Union and multiple on-campus locations.
  • Cardholders may open or add to a Cat Cash account at the K-State ID Center.
  • All remaining balances are 100% refundable during the last two weeks of the spring semester or with verification of departure from K-State.
  • A $10 fee will be assessed for all other fund withdrawals (fee subject to change without notice).
  • Dormant accounts will be assessed a $5.00/month non-refundable fee on the first of each month until the balance is $0.00.
    • Dormant accounts are accounts of former employees or non-enrolled students that have had no activity or card use for 365 days.
  • For more information on Cat Cash please see the Cat Cash information page.

Eligibility requirements:

Only enrolled students (undergrad and grad) and current employees (faculty and staff) can receive a Wildcat Card.

Proof of Identity:

  • All Wildcat Cards must be picked up by the individual cardholder.  Proxies, parents, guardians, friends, supervisors, or co-workers cannot pick up the Wildcat Card on behalf of the cardholder.
  • Valid government issued photo identification cards are required to receive the Wildcat Card. No digital, picture, or photocopies will be accepted.
    • The following forms of photo identification will be accepted:
      • US Passport or Foreign Passport with US VISA
      • US Military ID or Federal Agency ID
      • State Driver’s License or State ID
      • The previous year’s High School Photo ID

Documentation requirements:

  • Students: Must be enrolled in classes for the current or upcoming semester.
  • Employees (faculty and staff): Must have completed appointment paperwork:
    • PER-38, PER-38A, PER-39, PER-40, PER-41

Photo Requirements

  • A picture is mandatory in order to receive a Wildcat Card.
  • Hats, sunglasses, bandannas and any other clothing that might obstruct the view of the face may not be worn. ID Center staff must approve items worn for religious purposes or because of a disability at the time of photo capture.
  • No picture retakes are allowed unless the picture is unusable due to closed eyes or other unforeseen issues.

Online photo submission

Digital picture to be used on the Wildcat Card must conform to the following restrictions:


Must be full color No picture of a picture
Taken in front of a plain white or off-white  background No shadows on the face or background
Full face view looking directly at the camera No hats or head covers, sunglasses, headphones or wireless devices that obstruct the face
Neutral facial expression No glare on glasses
Both eyes open No other visible people, pets, or objects in the photo
Capture area of 3 inches below the chin and 2 inches above the top of the head No side angle of the face
In .jpg or .jpeg format, no larger than 6MB No Black and white photo
  No group photo
  No blurry photo
  No inappropriate expression

Online Wildcat Card application

To apply for a Wildcat Card, the following criteria must be met:

  • Be enrolled in “for credit” classes through K-State’s Salina, Manhattan, or Olathe campuses.
  • Provide a digital picture to be used on the Wildcat Card that complies with Online Photo Submission section above.
  • Provide a digital signature.
  • Agree to pay the New Wildcat Card fee (see K-State ID Center main page)
    • Charges will be applied to your KSIS account.

Apply for the Wildcat Card online at K-State ID Center main page, see link below.

  • To pick up your Wildcat Card
    • Visit the designated ID Center location for your enrolled campus.
    • Bring valid, non-digital government issued photo ID:
      • State Driver’s License or State ID
      • Military ID
      • National Passport (U.S.A. or Foreign with valid VISA)
      • Most recent High School ID card

Global Campus Wildcat Cards

  • To apply for a Wildcat Card, the following criteria must be met:
    • Be enrolled in "for credit" classes through K-State Global Campus.
    • Live more than 50 miles from the Kansas State University Manhattan campus.
      • Valid United States address, as verified in KSIS.
      • The card will be mailed to the permanent address
    • Provide a digital electronic color copy of your government-issued photo identification (ID)
      • In-state, fully valid driver's license or enhanced driver's license with photo
      • In-state, fully valid learner's permit with photo
      • In-state, fully valid non-driver ID with photo
      • Temporary driver's license with photo
      • Certificate of Naturalization
      • Certificate of Citizenship
      • Government employee ID (city, county, state, or federal)
      • U.S. military or military dependent ID
      • Current (valid) foreign passport
      • U.S. Permanent Resident Card (Green Card)
      • Enhanced Tribal Cards and Native American tribal photo ID
    • Provide a digital picture to be used on the Wildcat Card that complies with Online Photo Submission section.
    • Payment of the card and postage fees
    • New or replacement card fee (see K-State ID Center main page + $1.50 postage (postage subject to change without notice)
  • Apply for the Wildcat Card online at K-State ID Center main page.
  • Photos taken in the K-State ID Center will be distributed to various KSU integrated systems for official use.
  • Students can request a copy of their Wildcat Card photo. Request for student photos should be sent to the Office of the Registrar. Photos are in .jpeg or .png format and will be emailed only to K-State email addresses. Photos are provided at no charge.
  • Academic Advisors can view photos of their advisees in several locations in KSIS, including Advisor Center and Student Services Center. A printer-friendly advisee photo roster is also available to download and print. See Photo Roster instructions.
  • Faculty can view student photos in several locations in KSIS, including Faculty Center and Student Services Center. A printer-friendly class photo roster is also available to download and print. See Photo Roster instructions.
  • Requests for student photos by members of the press should be directed to the Division of Communications and Marketing.
  • Members of the public may request Wildcat Card photos through the K-State’s official records custodian in accordance with K-State’s open records policies.

Legal Name

By default, full legal names will be used on all Wildcat Cards. Legal names will be retained by the K-State ID Center regardless of name printed on the Wildcat Card.

Preferred Name

Use of a preferred name is allowed on the Wildcat Card. Visit the Registrars Name Information FAQ webpage for more information and to request a preferred name. Wildcat Cards with a preferred name change will be verified and processed no sooner than 24 hours after the request is completed and received.

Safeguard of Wildcat Cards

  • Protect cards from damage caused by rubbing or scratching.
  • Do not punch holes in the card.
  • Do not place cards on wireless chargers. This can cause the imbedded chips to malfunction.
  • Keep the magnetic strip unobstructed and use the card only for its intended functions.
  • Protect the card from access by others at all times.
  • Defective or damaged cards will be replaced at the ID Center in the K-State Student Union. The ID Center staff determines defective and/or damaged cards.


Lost/Stolen Wildcat Cards

  • Lost or stolen cards should be reported immediately to the K-State ID Center.  Cards can be reported lost or stolen on the K-State ID Center main page.
  • A non-refundable fee applies to replacement cards, see fee details on the K-State ID Center main page.
  • All transactions performed prior to report of loss/theft are the responsibility of the cardholder. All transactions that occur when a card is lost/stolen are subject to verification by the ID Center.
  • Individual departments and agencies of K-State may institute specific policies for lost/stolen cards.
  • Cards that have been replaced due to loss or theft are de-activated and cannot be reactivated.
  • Card balances will be transferred to the replacement card.

Misuse of Wildcat Cards

  • Persons misusing the Wildcat Card by loaning (considered theft of services), falsifying, altering or using a card without authorization are subject to disciplinary action and/or prosecution and will be assessed a misuse fee.
  • A $20 misuse fee will be assessed to any cardholder whose card has been confiscated due to misuse (fee subject to change without notice). Upon payment of the misuse fee, the Wildcat Card will be returned to the cardholder.
  • The ID Center may issue special use cards for conferences utilizing the K-State campus and/or K-State Student Union facilities.
  • Request special use cards with the Conference Card Request form.